Sunday, January 2, 2011

Musical Musings


One of my strong interest is in music. I don't listen to all kinds of music, but generally lean more towards instrumentals rather than songs with singing. People say that love is a universal language, I personally feel that the same can be applied to music as well. Anyone can instantly recognize the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars just from the music, although the languages it is sung in varies greatly. So I feel that I should start of my new year with a post that is music related. 

Music has been such a powerful shaper of my life. From music, I learnt the importance of rhythm, and upon the rhythm the melody is built. I hope you agree with me that EVERY song and musical composition has a rhythm, no matter how awful sounding some may be. Rhythm helps keep the beat in check, and as I have learned from being part of a marching band, following the rhythm saves me from having to do push-ups. It is the very thing in music that dictates the pace and the mood. Some have it slow, while others have a livelier and faster rhythm. 

Isn't it the same with life? That each and everyone of us have our own rhythms and melodies? It is the very discipline and routine that keeps us going, or not, everyday. The 7:42 bus, the 8:17 train, morning tea at 10, lunch at 1, tea time at 3, knocks off from work around 6 in the evening, the rhythm may vary but it is there fundamentally for us all. We may be singing different tunes everyday, but by and large our rhythm don't really change much. 

Well, what has this got to do with the New Year? For me personally, I treat the year 2010 as a beautiful composition that God made for me. There were changing rhythms all throughout the year, some slow parts, some incredibly fast, even with a few tricky ones thrown in as well. But that song 2010 has ended beautifully for me. And with the ending, a new piece of music is in place. The greatest part is, we can set the rhythm and let God write the melody. But be prepared for changes in your rhythm, as God always have a more beautiful piece of composition for us.

So, what music will 2011 be for you? I have chosen mine, and it shall be one that is embracing the unknown and overcoming it all.

God bless!
Guy down the street...


No comments:

Post a Comment